Tiger Woods is making his competitive golf return with his 12-year-old son Charlie. On Wednesday (Dec. 8), the pro-golfer announced that he will compete in next weekend’s 2021 PNC Championship alongside his son, which will mark his first golf tournament since being injured in a serious car accident earlier this year.
“Although it’s been a long and challenging year, I am very excited to close it out by competing in the [PNC Championship] with my son Charlie,” Woods tweeted. “I’m playing as a Dad and couldn’t be more excited and proud.”
Woods and Charlie participated in the PNC Championship together last year and tied for seventh place. The championship was also the last time Woods played competitively before sustaining several injuries in a single-car crash this February. As reported by REVOLT, the 45-year-old suffered damage to his right leg, foot and ankle that required emergency surgery and months of rehabilitation.
Last week, Woods said that while he still has a ways to go before returning full-time, competing in individual golf tournaments will be a good start.
“I’ll put it to you this way — as far as playing at the Tour level, I don’t know when that’s going to happen,” he explained. “Now, I’ll play a round here or there, a little hit-and-giggle. I can do something like that.”
“We have been liaising with Tiger and his team for some time and are delighted that he has now decided to make his return to competitive golf at the PNC Championship,” Alastair Johnston of IMG, the executive chairman of the event, said in a statement.
Woods also has a daughter, 14-year-old Sam, whom he shares with his ex-wife Elin Nordegren. See his tweet about competing in the PNC Championship below.
Although it’s been a long and challenging year, I am very excited to close it out by competing in the @PNCchampionship with my son Charlie. I’m playing as a Dad and couldn’t be more excited and proud.
— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) December 8, 2021