The former attorney general responsible for the George Floyd case rejected a guilty plea from the ex-officer indicted on murder charges, USA Today reported.
Derek Chauvin was gearing to plead guilty to third-degree charges last year, but then-Attorney General William Barr rejected the plea deal, explaining it was too soon in the case and the investigation to make the decision. If accepted, the deal would have nixed potential federal charges against him, including a civil rights offense, per anonymous law enforcement officials.
Floyd’s horrific death occurred at the hands of Chauvin, who kneeled on his neck and ignored his pleas to breathe for nearly nine minutes. The ex-cop faces murder and manslaughter charges in connection with the killing and is currently being housed at the Ramsey County Adult Detention Center, where minority officers were allegedly barred from guarding them.
As REVOLT previously reported, eight officers of African American, Hispanic, Pacific Islander and mixed-race descent said they were reassigned to another floor when Chauvin arrived at the Minnesota county jail. The suit alleges they were ordered against interacting with the former cop, noting one officer was fulfilling his duties when he was replaced by a white cop.
The plaintiffs claim they were ”segregated because of “the color of their skin,” but Superintendent Lydon — who made all the orders — insists he was acting “out of care and concern” for the cops.
“Recognizing that the murder of George Floydwas likely to create particularly acute racialized trauma, I felt I had an immediate duty to protect and support employees who may have been traumatized and may have heightened ongoing trauma by having to deal with Chauvin,” he said. “I made the decision to limit exposure to employees of color to a murder suspect who could potentially aggravate those feelings.”
Chauvin was terminated from his position in the wake of Floyd’s death. His trial is set for March 8.