The Weeknd will no longer submit any of his music to the Grammys and will no longer support the awards show in the future.
In a statement to the New York Times, the After Hours singer said he is boycotting the Recording Academy after they failed to nominate “Blinding Lights,” which went No. 1, for an award. “Because of the secret committees, I will no longer allow my label to submit my music to the Grammys,” he said.
Harvey Mason Jr., interim chief executive of the Recording Academy, said they are trying to improve amid criticism from several artists. “We’re all disappointed when anyone is upset,” Mason said. “But I will say that we are constantly evolving. And this year, as in past years, we are going to take a hard look at how to improve our awards process, including the nomination review committees.”
Last year, The Weeknd called the Grammys “corrupt” after he did not receive a single nomination for the coveted award. He also said that they owed him, his fans and the industry “transparency.”
Earlier this year, “Blinding Lights” made Billboard history when it re-entered the Hot 100 chart at the No. 3 position, becoming the music chart’s highest re-entry. The track also made history by becoming the first song ever to spend a year on the Hot 100’s top 10. “After Hours was always meant to be a very personal project. It’s a story I had to tell,” The Weeknd recently told Billboard.
He continued, “The fact I’ve been able to tell it with the world listening is incredible. This Billboard chart record is truly a result of the fans. I’m so humbled and forever grateful to them.”
Aside from the Grammys drama, The Weeknd just announced the dates for his “After Hours Tour,” which will begin next year. The tour will kick off next January in Vancouver, BC. He will then stop in multiple U.S. cities before traveling to Europe in September. On Nov. 16, the Canadian native will wrap things up at the O2 in London.