clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

L.A. officers arrest man in connection with Compton sheriff shooting

Two deputy officers were attacked while in their patrol car on Sept. 12.

L.A. Officers Thomas R. Cordova.

A man has been arrested in connection with the shooting of two Compton deputies earlier this month.

Deonte Lee Murray was detained for an unrelated carjacking, but fled from cops. As they chased him, he tossed the gun he used to shoot the officers out of the window and was later linked to the gunfire. He has been charged with two counts of “willful, deliberate and premeditated attempted murder of a police officer and possession of a firearm by a felon.” Murray also faces one count of attempted murder for the carjacking and a slew of charges related to other offenses.

Prosecutors are requesting bail be set at $6.15 million, a representative from Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

“These acts and that day, I will not forget it, and it represents the worst in humanity, and it shocked the whole nation,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said of the charges. “And that evening, I said ‘We will find this man,’ and I can report today we have found our suspect. The worst of humanity was followed by the best of humanity.”

As REVOLT reported, a male and female officer were sitting in their patrol car on Sept. 12 when Murray allegedly walked up to the passenger seat and fired his handgun. The cops, who were reportedly “fighting for their lives,” sustained head injuries, underwent surgery and have since been released from the hospital.

Following the incident, Villanueva was adamant about finding the gunman responsible for shooting his deputies. He announced there was $175,000 in reward money for the person who could help in the department’s search and challenged LeBron James to “double” the contribution, but the basketball player had “zero comment on the sheriff.”

Ahead of Murray’s arrest, social media users accused Compton resident Darnell Hicks of being the sniper. The LA. County sheriff department quickly took to social media to clear his name.

“Currently, there is a social media post that is being circulated which identifies a male out of the Los Angeles area as the suspect responsible for the ambush of our 2 deputies yesterday,” the department tweeted. “This is ERRONEOUS information and there are no named or wanted suspects at this time.”

Sign up for the newsletter Join the revolution.

Get REVOLT updates weekly so you don’t miss a thing.