Donald Trump could be discharged from the hospital as early as today (Oct. 5), White House physician Dr. Sean Conley said on Sunday (Oct. 4). The president was hospitalized for COVID-19 treatment after announcing he had tested positive for the virus on Thursday night (Oct. 1).
“There are frequent ups and downs... particularly when a patient is being so closely watched 24 hours a day,” Conley said during Sunday’s press conference. “If he continues to look and feel as well as he does today, our hope is that we can plan for a discharge as early as tomorrow to the White House, where he can continue his treatment course.”
The update arrives amidst mixed messages from the White House, one of which came from Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, who called Trump’s condition “very concerning.”
“The next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care,” he told reporters on Saturday (Oct. 3).
However, later appearing on “Fox & Friends,” Meadows said the president continued to improve overnight and “is ready to get back to a normal working schedule.”
“We are still optimistic that he will be able to return to the White House later today, with his medical professionals making that determination later today,” he said Monday.
Along with murkiness about Trump’s condition, questions were also raised about when he actually tested positive for COVID-19. On Saturday, Conley said that Trump’s case was “72 hours” old, indicating that he had been diagnosed with Coronavirus on Wednesday (Sept. 30), which is also the day he held a fundraiser in New Jersey. Conley later amended the comment by saying the president did not have a positive result until Thursday night, although he tests for COVID-19 daily.
In a memo, Conley clarified that he should have said “third day” rather than “72 hours,” meaning Thursday night, Friday and Saturday. As reported by REVOLT, Trump and the White House announced his positive test result after top aide Hope Hicks was diagnosed with the disease.