The man accused of purchasing an AR-15 rifle for Kyle Rittenhouse last year has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Dominick Black appeared at his arraignment on Tuesday (May 25). He pleaded not guilty to two counts of providing a dangerous weapon to someone under 18, resulting in death. Attorney Anthony Cotton, who represents the 19-year-old, also filed a motion to dismiss the charges, which he says rely on “misreading of the plain language” of the law regarding minors with firearms.
As REVOLT previously reported, Black told investigators that he bought the gun for Rittenhouse last year because he was too young to buy it himself.
The two men visited a gun store in Wisconsin. Black signed the paperwork as if the gun was for himself, although Rittenhouse gave him the money from his unemployment pay. According to Black’s stepfather, the gun was initially locked away in their garage, but after the violence erupted in Kenosha following the Jacob Blake shooting, he moved it inside the home.
Authorities accused Black of driving the teen back to his home in Illinois after the shootings, while the rifle was in the trunk of his car. Black confessed that he was also armed at the same car dealership where Rittenhouse allegedly shot and killed Joseph Rosenbaum.
According to police records, Black said that he knew his actions were illegal. “In all reality, you are not supposed to have that gun,” he allegedly recalled telling Rittenhouse after the deadly night. “That gun was in my name.” He also told police that the teen “would have thrown a fit” if he tried to stop him.
Rittenhouse is currently facing several charges, including first-degree reckless homicide, first-degree intentional homicide, attempted first-degree intentional homicide and two counts of reckless endangerment. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and his trial has been pushed back to November.