Travis Scott’s attorney accused Houston officials of “finger-pointing” while investigating the Astroworld Festival tragedy in his first statement since the incident.
“There has been multiple finger-pointing, much of which has been by city officials, who have sent inconsistent messages and have backtracked from original statements,” Scott’s attorney Edwin F. McPherson said on Thursday night (Nov. 10).
The statement arrives after Houston Police Chief Troy Finner changed his story about a supposed hypodermic needle attack at the festival. According to ABC 13, Finner initially stated that a security guard was jabbed in the neck with a needle during the event, leaving them unconscious. On Wednesday (Nov. 9), though, he walked back on the claim.
McPherson also brought up Finner being quoted in a New York Times article about Scott’s headlining set continuing amidst chaos in the crowd.
“Finner was quoted in The New York Times as saying, ‘You cannot just close when you got 50,000 and over 50,000 individuals. We have to worry about rioting, riots, when you have a group that’s that young.’ Yet, just a short time later, Chief Finner states the responsibility to stop the show falls on Travis,” McPherson said.
According to the attorney, only the festival’s director and executive producers had the authority to stop the show, not Scott.
“Investigations should start proceeding over finger-pointing so that together, we can identify exactly what transpired and how we can prevent anything like this from happening again,” he added.
As reported, eight people were killed at the festival on Friday (Nov. 5) and one more attendee was sadly declared brain dead earlier this week. Hundreds more were injured, including a 9-year-old boy who is now in a medically induced coma.
Scott took to social media last Saturday (Nov. 6) to offer his condolences to all who attended.
“My fans really mean the world to me,” he said in an Instagram video. “And I always just really want to leave them with a positive experience and anytime I can make out, you know, anything that’s going on, you know I stop the show… and help them get the help they need.”
The 30-year-old previously pledged to work with authorities in the investigation and cover funeral costs for victims’ families.