Dominion Voting Systems sues Fox News for $1.6 billion over election coverage
The conservative news outlet pushed a “false story of election fraud,” the suit reads.
Dominion Voting Systems has filed a $1.6 billion lawsuit against Fox News for defamation. The lawsuit marks the latest legal action that the company has taken in the wake of Donald Trump and his supporters’ false claims of fraud in the 2020 presidential election.
In the suit, filed on Friday (March 26) in Delaware Superior Court, Dominion accused Fox News of spreading false information about the election and claiming their machines were manipulated to help Joe Biden win.
“The truth matters. Lies have consequences,” the lawsuit reads. “Fox sold a false story of election fraud in order to serve its own commercial purposes, severely injuring Dominion in the process. If this case does not rise to the level of defamation by a broadcaster, then nothing does.”
Along with Fox, Dominion previously filed lawsuits against MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell and Trump’s attorneys Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell. The company claims Giuliani, Powell and Lindell damaged its reputation by contributing to lies surrounding the election. All three regularly appeared on Fox and other conservative news outlets to contest the election results.
According to Deadline, Dominion voting machines are used in 28 states and the company said its workers — including its CEO, engineers and technicians — were harassed by Trump supporters after the election.
The outlet also notes that no individual Fox News contributors were named in the lawsuit. However, Dominion lawyers could still pursue additional legal claims against them in the future.
“The buck stops with Fox on this,” attorney Stephen Shackelford told the Associated Press. “Fox chose to put this on all of its many platforms. They rebroadcast, republished it on social media and other places.”
“Fox News Media is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism and we will vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court,” the station said in a statement.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
To infinity and beyond! Adidas’ new Crazy IIInfinity shoes updates a Kobe classic!
From Kung Fu in the sewer to trash bag suits, Missy Elliott not only invigorated the modern music video, she put her thang down, flipped it and reversed it.
For our “Imagine If?” Black History Month campaign, check out the sci-fi story of Aaliyah Bennet, the astrophysicist and inventive space traveler.
In a move to reshape the narrative of Black identity, REVOLT has launched an initiative this Black History Month that puts the storytelling power firmly in the hands of Black creators. Check them out!
“The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” can be considered one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. More than 30 years after its pilot episode, REVOLT takes a look at what the cast is up to.
As the host of “While Black,” Darius Hicks is intent on getting to the nitty-gritty when discussing race. Check out this exclusive interview.
“Eminem ain’t no bad person. He belongs in Hip Hop,” Benzino said in part.
It appears as though he and the plaintiff Laura Helm have reached “an amicable resolution.”
The next time you’re looking for a caption for your perfectly curated Instagram, there’s a 95 percent chance that Drizzy’s got you!
“I think a lot of that stuff isn’t the stuff that should be aired out like that,” said Chris Spencer when discussing the no-holds-barred interview Mo’Nique did on “Club Shay Shay.”
“Y’all got me f**ked up!” he jokingly said on social media.
Her representative shared that the 44-year-old created the profile to show off her Savage X Fenty lingerie.