Investigators will not pursue criminal charges against Tiger Woods after he was seriously injured during a single-vehicle crash on Tuesday (Feb. 23).

On Wednesday (Feb. 24), Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the wreck was “purely an accident” and that the “challenging” downhill section of the street where the collision transpired is known for a high number of crashes. “We don’t contemplate any charges whatsoever in this crash,” he said in a Facebook Live chat. “This remains an accident. An accident is not a crime. They do happen, unfortunately.”

Villanueva also shut down rumors that the golf legend was under the influence during the crash. “He was not drunk,” he said. “We can throw that one out.”

On Tuesday, Woods was driving in Rancho Palos Verdes when his SUV crossed a median and swerved across two lanes before hitting a curb, a tree and landing on its side several hundred feet away from the road. Authorities say there were no skid marks and no evidence of braking.

Mr. Woods suffered significant orthopaedic injuries to his lower right extremity that were treated during emergency surgery,” said Dr. Anish Mahajan, chief medical officer of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. “Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia. Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilized with a combination of screws and pins. Trauma to the muscle and soft tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.”

Following the medical procedure, Woods was reportedly “awake, responsive and recovering in his hospital.”

“Thank you to the wonderful doctors and hospital staff at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, the Los Angeles Sheriff County’s Department and the Fire Department,” his team said in a statement. “Your support and assistance has been outstanding.”

Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to Woods as he recovers from the accident.