Donald Trump refuses to participate in virtual second debate with Joe Biden
The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Thursday that the next debate will be held remotely for COVID-19 concerns.
The Commission on Presidential Debates decided that the next debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden would happen remotely, and Trump is now refusing to participate. On Thursday morning (Oct. 8), the nonpartisan committee announced that the second presidential debate would instead be held as a virtual town hall, with both candidates appearing from remote locations.
The decision, the commission said, was made unilaterally in an effort “to protect the health and safety of all involved with the second presidential debate.” The change-up arrives just a few days after Trump was released from the hospital after being diagnosed with Coronavirus.
Trump rejected the idea just moments after it was announced by the commission.
“For the swamp creatures at the Presidential Debate Commission to now rush to Joe Biden’s defense by unilaterally canceling an in-person debate is pathetic,” Trump’s campaign manager Bill Stepien said in a statement. “The safety of all involved can easily be achieved without canceling a chance for voters to see both candidates go head-to-head. We’ll pass on this sad excuse to bail out Joe Biden and do a rally instead.”
Biden’s campaign reportedly wants to go ahead with the virtual debate, though the Democratic nominee previously said they “shouldn’t have a debate” until Trump tests negative for COVID-19. Earlier this week, Biden said he was “looking forward to being able to debate” against Trump but expressed the need to “follow very strict guidelines.”
“Vice President Biden looks forward to speaking directly to the American people,” Biden’s deputy campaign manager Kate Bedingfield said in a statement.
Last night (Oct. 7), Vice President Mike Pence and California Sen. Kamala Harris faced off for their own debate, which was held in-person in Salt Lake City, Utah. The candidates were separated by a plexiglass shield as a COVID-19 safety precaution.
The second presidential debate is scheduled to take place next Thursday (Oct. 15). The moderator and attendees will gather in the original hosting site of Miami, while Trump and Biden are asked to appear remotely. The third and final debate is set for Oct. 22 in Nashville.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
To infinity and beyond! Adidas’ new Crazy IIInfinity shoes updates a Kobe classic!
For our “Imagine If?” Black History Month campaign, check out the sci-fi story of Aaliyah Bennet, the astrophysicist and inventive space traveler.
From Kung Fu in the sewer to trash bag suits, Missy Elliott not only invigorated the modern music video, she put her thang down, flipped it and reversed it.
“The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” can be considered one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. More than 30 years after its pilot episode, REVOLT takes a look at what the cast is up to.
As the host of “While Black,” Darius Hicks is intent on getting to the nitty-gritty when discussing race. Check out this exclusive interview.
In a move to reshape the narrative of Black identity, REVOLT has launched an initiative this Black History Month that puts the storytelling power firmly in the hands of Black creators. Check them out!
“Eminem ain’t no bad person. He belongs in Hip Hop,” Benzino said in part.
The next time you’re looking for a caption for your perfectly curated Instagram, there’s a 95 percent chance that Drizzy’s got you!
It appears as though he and the plaintiff Laura Helm have reached “an amicable resolution.”
Mero opened up about his former Bodega Boys partner during the latest episode of “7PM in Brooklyn.”
Her representative shared that the 44-year-old created the profile to show off her Savage X Fenty lingerie.