clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Black man fatally shot by white neighbor after months of racist harassment

“We tried moving away but COVID stopped all that,” Antonio Robinson’s girlfriend said. “Now it’s too late.”

Antonio Robinson, Edward Murray Left: Robinson family/ Right: Tarrant County Jail

Late last month, a Black man was gunned down by his white neighbor in what his girlfriend says was the neighbor’s final violent act after a year of racist harassment. The alleged assailant — Edward Murray — shot and killed 39-year-old Antonio Robinson on his doorstep.

“We had issues with him from day one,” Robinson’s girlfriend Ashely Lacy told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “It was always these little things such as yelling at us. He wouldn’t step in our house, but if our door was open, he would scream at us.”

Lacy told Fort Worth, Texas police that Murray would hurl racial slurs and kick their kids’ toys on the sidewalk. The harassment got so bad, she said, that she and Robinson would keep their doors closed at all times and even looked for a new place to live.

Robinson shared a 2-year-old with Lacy, who also has two other children, aged 3 and 9. On the day of the shooting, Murray banged on their door and when Robinson opened it, he shot him at least five times. As Murray fled the scene, Lacy’s 9-year-old son rushed outside to apply pressure to Robinson’s wounds. Lacy called an ambulance, but Robinson was tragically pronounced dead at the hospital.

“A 9-year-old shouldn’t have to be doing that,” Lacy said.

Murray was arrested and charged with murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, as he was previously convicted of aggravated sexual assault on a 9-year-old girl. He is currently being held at the Tarrant County Correction Center on a $100,000 bond.

“If the tables were turned and a Black man with the same record had committed this crime against a white man and fled the scene, he would undoubtedly be completely denied bail,” Monique Robinson, Robinson’s sister-in-law, told the Star-Telegram. She further described Robinson as “a calm man” who “went to work to support his family.”

“He didn’t deserve this,” Lacy added. “We tried moving away but COVID stopped all that. Now it’s too late.”

Sign up for the newsletter Join the revolution.

Get REVOLT updates weekly so you don’t miss a thing.