Spitters who can freestyle off the top of the dome has always been a move that gets a true MC the respect they deserve. REVOLT’s “Off Top” is here to bring real bars back to the game with Big Tigger, Rapsody and DJ Nyla Symone. Step in the booth with us.
REVOLT’s “Off Top” returned with a new episode featuring rising star Yung Bleu. After dropping his debut album Moon Boy in July, the Boosie Badazz protégé stopped by the show to prove himself as a rapper.
Past “Off Top” guests such as Conway The Machine and G Herbo set a high standard for the series freestyles, so Bleu knew he had to bring his A-game. The Alabama native spit over DJ Khaled’s “Every Chance I Get” instrumental and showed he can do more than croon when he’s in the booth.
1. “Outta Hollywood Hills/She gon’ charge for the pussy ‘cause baby she got Hollywood bills/Hollywood girls never good girls, never come by to chill/Percocet and sex thrills”
Yung Bleu tackles the Hollywood lifestyle to begin his freestyle. According to him, you won’t find a “good girl” in Tinseltown. From his perspective, Hollywood women are fueled by drugs, money and sex.
2. “Took the cash to the cleaner and rinsed it/Make it look good, make it look handsome/Run in this house, hold it for ransom/They took my style, now niggas is cancelled”
Although Bleu’s opening bars might have one thinking he’s sanctimonious, he’s not pretending to be a saint either. He raps overtly about his own misdeeds too. Amid some rhymes about his money-making tactics, he also sneaks in a jab at anyone copying from his playbook.
3. “Bando jumping/My lil shooter ready, he tryna stand on something/You niggas scary, we tryna blast something/Two shots up in his car, he left the gas running/Big 30 clip on me, come be a crash dummy”
Bleu crafts a striking visual while detailing a shootout. With a gunman by his side, he gives the green light and two shots are fired at a vehicle. As the scene concludes, he reminds his enemies of his own firepower.
4. “I been shot and now these bitches wanna fuck with the kid/My momma think that I’m an angel, must don’t know what I did”
As previously established, Bleu knows he’s sinned many times. But in a brief sidebar, he admits his mother looks at him like he’s done no wrong. He wonders if she even knows the cold hard truth.
5. “I had to go into beast mode with niggas thinking I can’t rap/Put the bitch to your think cap/I set him up, he get killed off a date app”
In a change of pace, Bleu speeds up his flow and sets his sights on anyone doubting his rapping prowess. Despite his change in approach, he still maintains the menacing content. His rhymes are packed with ill intentions regardless of style.
6. “In that Vette we can race ya/I’m in the Bando, don’t got a PayPal/But I got a 40 cal/Get out the way ‘cause you in the way pal”
The quicker delivery continues as Bleu keeps the rhymes coming. He sticks to what works for him, lyrically transporting himself back to the Bando once again. While there’s nothing lighthearted about these lyrics, the PayPal line adds a bit of dark humor to the mix.
7. “I’m in the hood with them hittas/You know that it’s dangerous, I keep a Glock in the reach/You say you gon’ ride, you say you gon’ catch a body but you better practice what you preach”
Bleu kicks into double-time with more stories from the streets. He warns his foes to not just talk the talk but walk the walk. He understands the danger around him and will take action if necessary.