Multiple lawsuits have been filed against Live Nation, Travis Scott, Drake and others after eight people were killed and hundreds more were injured on Friday (Nov. 5) at Houston’s Astroworld Festival.
According to Billboard, one injured attendee, Manuel Souza, has filed a lawsuit against Scott, Live Nation, organizer ScoreMore and others for $1 million. In the suit, Souza’s lawyers accused festival organizers of negligence in the face of “predictable and preventable tragedy.”
“Defendants failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner,” the suit claims. “Instead, they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers and, in some cases, actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviors.”
Another attendee, Kristian Paredes, has also filed a lawsuit against Scott, Live Nation, Harris County Sports And Convention Corporation and Drake; who was a surprise performer during Scott’s set. According to My San Antonio, the suit says Paredes was “seriously injured” during the show and claims Scott and Drake “incited the crowd.”
“There is every indication that the performers, organizers and venue were not only aware of the hectic crowd but also that injuries and potential deaths may have occurred,” it continues. “Still, they decided to put profits over their attendees and allowed the deadly show to go on.” Paredes is also seeking at least $1 million.
As reported by REVOLT, police are currently investigating what caused multiple people to die at the festival during Scott’s Friday night set. So far, it has been reported that several attendees suffered cardiac arrests and one police officer was stabbed with a hypodermic needle. On social media, many concertgoers said a forceful surge through the 50,000-person crowd also resulted in people being trampled and unable to breathe.
According to the Houston Chronicle, police and firefighters declared a “mass casualty” event at the festival at 9:38 p.m. local time, roughly 30 minutes after Scott began his headlining set. The “Escape Plan” rapper continued to perform and finished the show as scheduled at 10:15 p.m.
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner previously defended Scott’s decision to continue performing and said abruptly stopping the show might have caused a riot. He also claimed the festival was not understaffed and said the police presence at the event should have been able to handle the chaotic crowd.
In an Instagram statement, Kylie Jenner said Scott did not know there were any fatalities until after the show.