A Black man who was acquitted for shooting at Minneapolis police officers during a George Floyd protest has filed a lawsuit against the city and those cops who were involved in his arrest.
On Thursday (Oct. 28), Jaleel Stallings filed a federal suit alleging that several of his constitutional rights were violated during the shooting. As REVOLT previously reported, last month, Stallings was found not guilty of attempted murder after he claimed he shot at the officers in self-defense. He thought that he was being attacked by civilians in the area when he fired three bullets at an unmarked white van and said he started firing shots after he was hit in the chest by a rubber bullet.
It was then that he realized he discharged his weapon at officers. However, none of them were struck during the exchange. As he surrendered to authorities, he was assaulted by the officers, according to body camera footage. He was left with several injuries, including a fractured eye socket.
Stallings was subsequently charged with first-degree assault, second-degree attempted murder, second-degree riot and second-degree assault, among other counts. He declined a plea deal that held an almost 13-year prison term and alternatively took the case to trial, where he was acquitted.
The lawsuit names 14 officers who allegedly used excessive force and used force to intimidate and prevent him from protesting racism and police brutality. Additionally, five other cops are listed as defendants, but are unnamed because they have not yet been identified.
“These violations are part of a pattern of constitutional violations by the MPD,” the complaint said. “Customs causing constitutional violations were long-known by the MPD and the community at-large before this incident. In fact, it was this historical pattern of constitutional violations and lack of accountability or deterrence that led the community to protest with such intensity after the murder of George Floyd.”