Nicki Minaj and her legal team argued that their late response to the $20 million default judgment request made by Jennifer Hough, the woman who accused the rapper and her husband Kenneth Petty of harassment and witness intimidation, was an honest error.
According to Complex, the “Seeing Green” spitter said that her manager “had not understood” that she hired Judd Burstein to be her attorney, so he had not been officially retained. On the evening of Oct. 12, however, Minaj alleges she and Burstein spoke on the phone about him becoming her legal representation for the case.
“My failure to respond to the complaint was the product of an innocent mistake, and I ask the court to excuse the delay so that I can defend what I believe to be an entirely frivolous case which plaintiff’s counsel has brought against me in an effort to use my name to generate publicity for himself,” Minaj reportedly said in the documents, which were dated Oct. 15.
Minaj also stated that her husband was never served with a copy of the summons and complaint. The person who allegedly served the documents said they gave it to a “Black male, 40 years old, 200 lbs.” with brown eyes and black hair. However, the Pink Friday rapper refuted those claims.
“In fact, my husband is approximately 5’9’’ tall and weighs no more than 175 pounds,” Minaj reportedly said in the records. “Further, there is no person who resides in our house or who was present there on September 15, 2021, who fits the description contained in the affidavit of service.”
As REVOLT previously reported, Petty was convicted of first-degree attempted rape against Hough back in 1995. He denied the allegations, but he later pleaded guilty to the charges and served four-and-a-half years in prison. Hough is now claiming that the Pettys are harassing her and trying to get her to change her allegations.
Burstein is looking to have the judgment dismissed.