OnlyFans executives have walked back on their decision to ban sexually explicit content on the platform, Variety and other outlets reported on Wednesday (Aug. 25). In a statement, the company suggested it reached a new agreement with banks and will no longer need to ban pornographic material.
“Thank you to everyone for making your voices heard,” a statement via OnlyFans’ Twitter account read. “We have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change.”
“OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators,” it continued. “An official communication to creators will be emailed shortly.”
A spokesperson for the U.K.-based subscription service confirmed to Variety, “The proposed Oct. 1, 2021 changes are no longer required due to banking partners’ assurances that OnlyFans can support all genres of creators.” However, the rep did not say which banks it has made new payment-processing agreements with.
Earlier this month, OnlyFans founder and CEO Tim Stokely claimed JP Morgan, Chase, Bank of New York Mellon and Metro Bank cut off the company’s ability to pay their creators due to the app’s sexually explicit content. However, the availability of pornographic material helped launch OnlyFans to popularity last year, as well as celebrity accounts.
After sparking significant backlash from creators for the decision to ban sexual content, many OnlyFans users said they would leave the platform. As reported by REVOLT, Tyga, who previously owned one of the most popular OnlyFans accounts, announced he would launch his own competing platform called Myystar.
“I know how many people make a lot of money on OnlyFans and that’s where most of their revenue is at. I want to give those people hope,” he told Forbes. “I pay attention to the culture. I’ve always liked to be on the pulse and see what everybody’s feeling.”
See OnlyFans’ tweet below.