A suspect involved in the murder of Pop Smoke has learned that he will not be sentenced to death, the Daily News reported. On Tuesday (July 6), prosecutors announced that they are not pursuing the death penalty against 20-year-old Corey Walker.
“Our office is not going to be seeking death on this case,” Deputy DA Hilary Williams said. “But we are going to be asking for a lot.”
According to statements made in a preliminary hearing, Pop Smoke was taking a shower at his Hollywood Airbnb when a group of masked intruders raided the home with intentions to rob the Rolex and thick gold chain the rapper previously flaunted on Instagram.
He attempted to fight back and was fatally shot by a 15-year-old as others kicked him on the floor repeatedly.
Though Pop passed away at the hands of a minor, Walker — the only adult suspect involved in the murder case — admitted that he played a role in the fatal shooting. He reportedly told an informant that he and three others used gloves, ski masks and a police scanner to commit the crime. He was later charged with murder and was deemed eligible for the death penalty as Pop’s killing occurred amid the heist, but his defense lawyer Christopher Darden filed a motion to dismiss his murder charge. Per Darden, his client solely drove the vehicle to the Hollywood home.
Following Tuesday’s arraignment hearing, prosecutors said that Walker now faces a maximum sentence of life without parole if he’s convicted of Pop’s slaying. Tomorrow (July 7), he is due back in court, where he will enter a formal plea.
Walker’s hearing comes roughly a month after his family expressed their desire to speak to Pop’s mother, Audrey Jackson. At the time, she said she was skeptical and needed more time to make her decision.