/  04.13.2021


The officer who shot Jacob Blake several times in the back last summer has returned to duty.

On Tuesday (April 13), Kenosha Police Chief Daniel Miskinis released a statement about Officer Rusten Sheskey’s return from administrative leave. “The Kenosha Police use of force incident on August 23, 2020 was investigated by an outside agency; has been reviewed by an independent expert as well as the Kenosha County District Attorney. Officer Sheskey was not charged with any wrong doing,” the media release read. “He acted within the law and was consistent with training. This incident was also reviewed internally. Officer Sheskey was found to have been acting within policy and will not be subjected to discipline.”

“As of March 31, 2021, Officer Sheskey has returned from administrative leave,” the statement continued. “Although this incident has been reviewed at multiple levels, I know that some will not be pleased with the outcome, however, given the facts, the only lawful and appropriate decision was made.”

REVOLT previously reported that Officer Sheskey would not face charges for the Aug. 23 shooting, which left Blake, a Black man, paralyzed from the waist down. The cop told authorities that he used deadly force during the shooting because he was afraid Blake was trying to kidnap a child in his vehicle. However, the children who were present during the incident were Blake’s biological kids.

Last month, Blake filed a lawsuit against Officer Sheskey for unspecified damages over the injuries he sustained during the shooting. In the suit, Blake said one of the cop’s seven gunshots severed his spinal cord, resulting in his paralyzation. He has not been able to work or perform daily tasks since the shooting and says he’s still confined to a wheelchair after months of surgeries and physical rehabilitation. 

Blake also claimed Officer Sheskey’s seventh shot hit the side door of his car and could have hit his children, who were sitting inside the vehicle. The cop is accused of using excessive force during the shooting and Blake has requested a jury trial.

Read the media release from Chief Miskinis below.

Trending

Is there only one metaverse? | 'MetaMoney'

On the latest episode of “MetaMoney,” host Stockz talks about the “many different metaverses” that ...
  /  07.22.2022

A look at NFTs and the future of business | 'Maconomics'

On an all-new episode of “Maconomics,” host Ross Mac dives into what NFTs are and ...
  /  08.08.2022

Beyonce’s continued Renaissance reign, “Love & Hip Hop,” Jamie Foxx and more

In a new “REVOLT BLACK NEWS” Entertainment Remix, we’re talking all things Black excellence in ...
  /  08.12.2022

Meet Javoris Hollingsworth and his daughter Graceyn of Gracie’s Corner

Javoris Hollingsworth and his daughter, Graceyn, live in Houston and have developed a YouTube channel ...
  /  08.12.2022
View More