Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17-year-old accused of fatally shooting two protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
According to the Associated Press, on Tuesday afternoon (Jan. 5), the teen entered his plea via teleconference. He is currently charged with first-degree reckless homicide, first-degree intentional homicide, attempted first-degree intentional homicide and two counts of reckless endangerment.
Prosecutors say Rittenhouse left his home in Illinois and traveled to Kenosha after protests erupted in the city following the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man who was shot several times in the back as he tried to enter his vehicle.
Rittenhouse was caught on camera running around with an assault-style rifle. He fatally shot Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber and wounded Gaige Grosskreutz. He claims he acted in self-defense when he shot the three men and said that he only traveled to Kenosha to protect local businesses and to render first aid to people. “I was going into a place where people had guns, and God forbid somebody brought a gun to me and decided to shoot me … I wanted to be protected, which I ended up having to protect myself,” Rittenhouse previously told The Washington Post.
REVOLT previously reported that Rittenhouse’s victims and their family members have filed a lawsuit against the City of Kenosha for “intentional acts of negligence.” Grosskreutz says he suffered “significant permanent physical damage,” in addition to pain and suffering, loss of income and future wages because authorities did not stop Rittenhouse.
Additionally, Huber and Grosskreutz’s estates are suing the County of Kenosha, the Kenosha County sheriff, the Kenosha police chief, employees of the Sheriff’s Office and employees of the Police Department. They are each seeking $10 million.
A pretrial for Rittenhouse is slated for March 10 and the trial date is set for March 29.