Kenosha officials prepare for decision in Jacob Blake shooting
The Kenosha County district attorney will announce whether the officer who shot Blake will be charged.
Residents and officials in Kenosha, Wisconsin are awaiting the results of the shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man who was shot several times by a police officer over the summer.
According to WTMJ-TV, Kenosha County’s district attorney is reportedly preparing to announce whether charges will be brought forth against Officer Rusten Sheskey. Mayor John Antaramian and Police Chief Daniel Miskinis wrote an op-ed in the Kenosha News on Sunday (Dec. 27) calling for peaceful and lawful protesting, if needed.
“The Wisconsin Department of Justice, independent of the City of Kenosha, conducted the investigation, so we don’t know what that decision will be or when it will be announced,” the opinion piece read. “What we do know is that regardless of the decision, people will have differing opinions and strong emotions about it. That is everyone’s right. Whether you agree or disagree, we ask that you express your opinions peacefully and lawfully.”
The mayor and police chief also said they are preparing for the announcement and are working on a plan to keep everyone safe. “We will not — we can not — tolerate the kind of violence we saw on our streets earlier this year and we will take definitive steps to protect our residents and businesses,” the article continued.
On Aug. 23, Blake was shot multiple times as he attempted to enter a vehicle with his young children. The officers were initially called to the scene over a domestic incident. According to Attorney Benjamin Crump, Blake was trying to break up a physical dispute between two women.
Witnesses captured the encounter between Blake and the police on their cellphones. Video footage showed him struggling to get away from the officers before trying to get inside his car. Officer Sheskey grabbed Blake by the shirt and shot him at least seven times in the back.
The shooting left Blake paralyzed from the waist down. Doctors are not sure if the injuries will prevent him from ever walking again. In October, he was released from hospital and sent to a spinal injury rehabilitation center in Chicago, Illinois.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
In a move to reshape the narrative of Black identity, REVOLT has launched an initiative this Black History Month that puts the storytelling power firmly in the hands of Black creators. Check them out!
From Kung Fu in the sewer to trash bag suits, Missy Elliott not only invigorated the modern music video, she put her thang down, flipped it and reversed it.
To infinity and beyond! Adidas’ new Crazy IIInfinity shoes updates a Kobe classic!
For our “Imagine If?” Black History Month campaign, check out the sci-fi story of Aaliyah Bennet, the astrophysicist and inventive space traveler.
“The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” can be considered one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. More than 30 years after its pilot episode, REVOLT takes a look at what the cast is up to.
As the host of “While Black,” Darius Hicks is intent on getting to the nitty-gritty when discussing race. Check out this exclusive interview.
It appears as though he and the plaintiff Laura Helm have reached “an amicable resolution.”
The next time you’re looking for a caption for your perfectly curated Instagram, there’s a 95 percent chance that Drizzy’s got you!
“Eminem ain’t no bad person. He belongs in Hip Hop,” Benzino said in part.
“I think a lot of that stuff isn’t the stuff that should be aired out like that,” said Chris Spencer when discussing the no-holds-barred interview Mo’Nique did on “Club Shay Shay.”
“Y’all got me f**ked up!” he jokingly said on social media.
Her representative shared that the 44-year-old created the profile to show off her Savage X Fenty lingerie.