One week after announcing his positive COVID-19 diagnosis, Donald Trump’s physician has cleared him to resume public events. In a memo on Thursday (Oct. 8), Dr. Sean Conley wrote that the president “has completed his course of therapy for COVID-19” and expects him to return to public engagements this Saturday (Oct. 10).
“Saturday will be day 10 since Thursday’s diagnosis, and based on the trajectory of advanced diagnostics the team has been conducting, I fully anticipate the President’s safe return to public engagements at that time,” Conley added.
During an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity Thursday night, Trump did not disclose whether or not he’s tested negative for Coronavirus but said he’s aiming to hold his first campaign rally back this weekend in Florida.
“I think I’m going to try doing a rally on Saturday night if we can — if we have enough time to put it together, but we want to do a rally in Florida… probably in Florida on Saturday night,” Trump said, adding that he “might come back and do one in Pennsylvania on the following night.”
Speaking earlier this week with Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo, Trump claimed that he’s no longer contagious.
“I think I’m better… to a point where I’d love to do a rally tonight,” he said. “I wanted to do one last night. I feel perfect. There’s nothing wrong.”
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has advised that people infected with the virus wait 10 days after the first appearance of symptoms and be fever-free for 24 hours before being around others. Last week, questions were raised about when Trump actually tested positive for COVID-19, after Dr. Conley made confusing comments about his diagnosis.
Also speaking with Bartiromo, Trump recently rejected the idea of a virtual presidential debate. Hours after the interview, Joe Biden also pulled out of the event. Both campaign teams are now vying to postpone the debate until later this month.