The former Atlanta police officer who is accused of fatally shooting Rayshard Brooks will not have his bond revoked after he took a recent trip to Florida, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Fulton County Judge Jane Barwick made the ruling on Wednesday (Aug. 12). She did, however, update the wording of his bond order to require him to stay in his home.
“Defendant faces charges related to the killing of another human being, and whether he believes these charges are warranted, he was given the privilege of limited freedom while these charges pend,” Barwick wrote in her ruling.
She continued, “Should he and his attorneys have any question as to the meaning of the conditions of his bond, they should seek clarification from the court before acting rather than hoping for continued release after acting. These are strict conditions that shall be adhered to strictly.”
Rolfe is currently facing felony murder and multiple counts of assault with a deadly weapon for the June 12 shooting that left Brooks dead. On June 29, the former officer was granted a $500,000 bond. Barwick said that she believed he wasn’t a flight risk and did not pose a threat of committing a crime or intimidating witnesses.
Earlier this month, Rolfe notified the Fulton district attorney’s office about his plans to travel to Florida to visit family members. District Attorney Paul Howard asked the courts to revoke his bond. He argued that the ex-cop should only “leave home for medical, legal or work-related obligations.”
Rolfe is now suing to get his job reinstated. He is also asking for back pay and benefits and says his termination took place “without an investigation.” According to court documents, Rolfe says the shooting was justified and says that Brooks violently resisted.
If you would like to donate to Brooks’ GoFundMe, click here.