On Tuesday (March 17), it was announced that four Brooklyn Nets players — including Kevin Durant — had tested positive for Coronavirus. Given that the Los Angeles Lakers —who house players such as LeBron James and Anthony Davis — played against the Nets on March 10, the team is now taking the necessary precautions in case any of their players also contracted the virus.
“Today we were made aware that four players on the Brooklyn Nets have tested positive for COVID-19,” the Lakers said in an official statement on Tuesday (March 17). “We have been in immediate contact with our players and basketball operations staff members since being made aware of this development.”
“Given the exposure risks from our game against the Nets on March 10th, we are following the next steps of our COVID-19 procedures and protocol that are established in consultation with various health officials, the NBA and our UCLA Health doctors,” the statement continued. “The health and well-being of our players, staff, fans, and society in general, is of paramount importance to us, and will continue to be our focus. We appreciate the support of our fans, family and friends, and wish everyone affected by this virus a speedy and healthy recovery.”
The Lakers’ game against the Nets ended up being the final NBA event of the season, before the league ultimately decided to suspend all upcoming games in order to combat the spread of Coronavirus. Two Utah Jazz players were first diagnosed with the virus last week.
Since being diagnosed, Durant has reportedly been feeling fine.
“Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine. We’re going to get through this,” he previously told The Atlantic.
The Nets also released their own statement following the positive diagnosis news.
“The organization is currently notifying anyone who has had known contact with the players, including recent opponents, and is working closely with state and local health authorities on reporting,” the team said.