A$AP Rocky has been charged with assault following his fight in Sweden earlier this month.
This morning (July 25), CNN reported that Rocky and company will remain in custody until the trial, which will begin on Tuesday. Prosecutors are relying heavily on video footage from the fight. In the video obtained by TMZ, Rocky appears to throw a man to the ground, however, in Rocky’s Instagram video, he repeatedly asks two men to stop following his crew.
In addition to the videos, the prosecutor is also using text messages from Rocky’s bodyguard where he talks about the assault and a surveillance video from the Grand Hotel and a burger restaurant.
Rocky’s lawyer, Slobodan Jovicic, stated that his client’s actions were made in a matter of self-defense. “We think it was self-defense, but the prosecutor has chosen to go with the injured party’s version,” Jovicic said. When asked about his role in the fight by police, Rocky replied: “I got him down on the ground. I hit and kicked.”
Rocky’s case has drawn in the support of many including President Donald Trump. Trump claims that he spoke with Kanye West and Kim Kardashian West and is looking for ways to help with the New York rapper’s release. However, a spokesman for the Swedish prosecution states that “outside pressure” has no influence on the decision made in the courtroom.
“The Swedish judicial system is completely independent and does not take into consideration outside pressure from politicians or others,” a spokesman for the Swedish prosecution authority told CNN.
Yesterday (July 24,) A$AP Ferg shared on social media that he spoke with Rocky. He stated that his brother is in good spirits and is hopeful for a positive outcome. If A$AP Rocky is convicted, he could face up to two years in Swedish prison. We will continue to provide all the necessary updates regarding the case.