As one of the most vibrant cultural melting pots in the world, it goes without saying that there is no city quite exactly like Miami. With a multifaceted foundation built upon its rich history, legendary night life scene and array of world-renowned Cuban and Latin American-influenced cuisine, it is only fitting that the electric and eccentric Magic City would also play host to one of the most momentous music festivals in contemporary hip hop: Rolling Loud.
Over the years, Miami and surrounding communities have cultivated a prosperous pool of talent, ranging from veteran acts such as Rick Ross, Trina, Trick Daddy, DJ Khaled and Ace Hood to who’s got next, such as Lil Pump, Kodak Black, Wifisfuneral and Ski Mask The Slump God. As exemplified through its already historic run thus far, Rolling Loud aims to both celebrate both hip hop’s most influential acts and provide a platform for the next class of tastemakers alike.
While many may fixate on the heavy-hitters coming out of New York City and Los Angeles, Rolling Loud showcases exactly why it would be a grave disservice to count out those who have worked to secure Florida’s rightful place in the nationwide dialogue. From helping shape hip hop’s global presence to creating a festival experience unlike any other, Rolling Loud has grown exponentially since its conception in 2015.
With humble beginnings proudly in the 305, co-founders Tariq Cherif and Matt Zingler recognized their drive for disruption early on, answering the call to provide their like-minded peers with live music opportunities in a city notorious for favoring electronic music and other genres. From throwing parties in high school to the brand growing into hip hop’s premier multi-day, and now multi-city, festival, the duo didn’t achieve the success they have by playing it safe.
Their hard work has since paid off and has allowed them to represent on behalf of Miami in places such as Los Angeles, the Bay Area and Australia, all without having to compromise their untraditional business savvy or dedication to curating an authentic experience for attendees. This year, the three-day event is gearing up to celebrate its five-year anniversary. For the renowned festival’s return to the Hard Rock stadium on May 10-12, a plethora of rising and established acts; such as Migos, Travis Scott, Kid Cudi, Cardi B, Lil Wayne, 21 Savage, Lil Uzi Vert, Gucci Mane, Young Thug, Gunna and countless others; will be taking to the stage.
As returning Rolling Loud guests and fans of live music can attest, the beauty of festivals is found in the ability to free oneself, live in the moment and celebrate with a like-minded community. In the spirit of Rolling Loud presenting the opportunity for rap enthusiasts to do exactly that, SIMPLE Mobile has cut through the static and compiled an essential guide to best experience what the renowned festival has to offer.
Some General Tips to Keep in Mind Prior to Arrival:
– Rolling Loud offers exclusive hotel rates through its partnership with Delmay and Partners. For booking information, please see here.
– Miami is comprised of a variety of neighborhoods that are in close proximity to the festival’s location in Miami Gardens. Neighborhoods such as South Beach, Wynwood Arts District, Little Havana and Downtown/Midtown each come recommended for festival goers to set up camp in.
– Rideshare services such as Lyft and Uber help make it easy to get around.
– The jitney is one of the cheapest ways to get around the city, with these large white vans making continual trips around downtown. The city also provides free transportation via red trolleys that travel between select neighborhoods such as Coral Gables and Midtown.
– Look into flying into the Fort Lauderdale airport, as it may be less expensive depending on your departure and the Tri-Rail makes it easy to travel to Miami.
What to Expect:
– Rolling Loud is an all-ages festival. Please also note that guests must be 18+ to access the VIP areas. The fully accessible event doesn’t offer assigned seating, liberating fans to experience the event from where they so choose.
– To best secure a swift entry and avoid missing any performances, be sure to arrive early and make sure your ticketing information is on hand. While you wait in the ticketing and security lines, you can occupy yourself by scoping out the best places on-site to capture content, access the festival’s line-up and schedule via the Rolling Loud app and connect with other guests.
– Be sure to check out what items will be allowed on the festival grounds. For a full list of banned items and bag restrictions, please see here.
– Attending festivals can eat up a lot of your data and slow down your service. SIMPLE Mobile offers service plans with unlimited talk & text, plus the right amount of high-speed data so you can capture all of the best moments at the festival, text and FaceTime with friends to showcase the experience without having to worry about paying extra. No long-term contracts, and all on a lightning-fast network! Learn more at SimpleMobile.com.
– You’ll definitely want to stop by the Unlocked Experience, Powered by SIMPLE Mobile, where you can step up to some turntables to create your own beat AND get a special video of you doing it. Also, a local Miami artist has designed an interactive photo mural and three one-of-kind t-shirts or tote bag designs for Rolling Loud fans (while supplies last).
– There will be ample ATMs, concessions, free water stations, merch booths, lockers, restrooms and first aid stations on the festival grounds. Additionally, SIMPLE Mobile will also be hosting an incredible, two-story DJ booth, VIP area, interactive mural and charging station, ensuring that guests won’t have to deal with the stress of running through their phone battery while the festival is underway.
– Keep in mind there is no re-entry. Once you leave the grounds, you’ll be calling it a day.
– Rolling Loud is an outdoor event taking place right before Miami gets too unbearably hot. However, given that it is held outdoors, attendees should sport comfortable footwear, pack a poncho in their fanny pack (remember, backpacks are not allowed and there could be rainy conditions), and keep in mind that festivals are a perfect way to express oneself through fashion. As exemplified by the versatile line-up, fans can expect their favorite acts will be rocking attire that speaks to their individuality so why not break out the perfect festival fit also?
Goings On About Town:
– Outside of the Hard Rock stadium walls, there is an exciting city to explore.
– With over 15 miles of public beaches to explore, Miami has a beach to fit every mood. Top picks include Lummus Park Beach, South Pointe Park Pier, 21st – 45th Street Beach and South Beach, to name a few.
– On South Beach, there are ample locations to best snap a portrait and send your friends and family back home a digital postcard. For the best photo opps on South Beach, check out Hotel South Beach (which features a rooftop pool with an oceanfront view), the Colony Hotel (one of the oldest Art Deco hotels that’s known for appearing in Scarface and episodes of Dexter), SLS South Beach (full of interesting sculptures and was designed by Lenny Kravitz and Philippe Starck) and the Delano (an iconic boutique hotel) to start.
– While Rolling Loud will have a plethora of on-site food vendors catering to every craving, Miami also lives up to its reputation as a foodie city. After the festival concludes, we suggest making a pit stop at places such as Coyo Taco, Versailles Cuban Bakery, Pinolandia, Enriqueta’s, Las Olas Café, Joe’s Stone Crab or Yardbird Southern Table & Bar.
– At the pulse of Miami is its nightlife. To keep the party going, check out clubs such as Dream, E11even or LIV.