Happy birthday to the legendary Dwight Myers, better known as one of the most loved across the board MCs ever, Heavy D. Today the late, great “Overweight Lover” would have turned 50 years old. To put in that in perspective, his career lasted from 25 years from 1986 to 2011 when he passed away. Hev spent over half his life contributing to hip-hop culture and entertaining his millions of fans. In honor of this milestone day, we took a look back at his pristine legacy and have compiled of list of over 50 of our favorite Hev D joints in order!
1) “We Got Our Own Thang” (Big Tyme 1989)
2) “Somebody for Me” featuring Al B. Sure (Big Tyme 1989)
3) “Is It Good To You” (Peaceful Journey 1991)
4) “Nothin But Love” (Nuttin But Love 1994)
5) “The Overweight Lover’s in the House” (Living Large 1987)
6) “Gyrlz They Love Me” (Big Tyme 1989)
7) “Black Coffee” (Nuttin But Love 1994)
8) “Now That We Found Love” featuring Aaron Hall (Peaceful Journey 1991)
9) “You Can’t See What I Can See” (Single 1992)
10) “Big Daddy” (Waterbed Hev 1997)
11) “Got Me Waiting” (Nuttin But Love 1994)
12) “Truthful” (Blue Funk 1993)
13) “Peaceful Journey” (Peaceful Journey 1991)
14) “Mr. Big Stuff” (Living Large 1987)
15) “Don’t Curse” featuring Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Q-Tip, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth and Grand Puba (Peaceful Journey 1991)
16) “Who’s The Man” (Blue Funk 1993)
17) “Long Distance Girlfriend” (Vibes 2008)
18) No Matter What (Vibes 2008)
19) “Blue Funk” (Blue Funk 1993)
20) “Like Dat Dhere” (Heavy 1999)
21) “Still Missing You (Love Opus 2011)
22) “Don’t You Know” featuring Al B. Sure (Living Large 1987)
23) “A Buncha Niggas” featuring Gang Starr, 3rd Eye, The Notorious B.I.G., Busta Rhymes, Rob-O (Blue Funk 1993)
24) “Delilah” (Vibes 2008)
25) “Can You Handle It” featuring Tha Dogg Pound & Mcgruff (Waterbed Hev 1997)
26) “Listen” featuring Q-Tip (Heavy 1999)
27) “Moneyearnin’ Mount Vernon” (Living Large 1987)
28) “Love Sexy” (Blue Funk 1993)
29) “Big Daddy” remix (Waterbed Hev 1997)
30) “Ask Heaven” featuring Chico Debarge (Heavy 1999)
31) “More Bounce” (Big Tyme 1989)
32) “Chunky But Funky” (Living Large 1987)
33) “Dance for Me” (Love Opus 2011)
34) “Got Me Waiting” remix (Nuttin But Love 1994)
35) “Don’t Be Afraid” featuring Big Bub (Waterbed Hev 1997)
36) “Sex Wit You” (Nuttin But Love 1994)
37) “On Point” featuring Big Pun and Eightball (Heavy 1999)
38) “Queen Majesty” (Vibes 2008)
39) “Take Your Time” (Nuttin But Love 1994)
40) “Sister Sister” (Peaceful Journey 1991)
41) “You Can Get It” featuring Lost Boyz and Soul for Real (Waterbed Hev 1997)
42) “Love Me Like This” (Vibes 2008)
43) “Keep It Comin” (Waterbed Hev 1997)
44) “Shake It” (Waterbed Hev 1997)
45) “You Know featuring Cee-Lo (Heavy 1999)
1) “Alright” remix by Janet Jackson (1990)
2) “Candy Rain” remix by Soul For Real (1995)
3) “Do Me Right” by Guy (1990)
4) “Let’s Get It On” by DJ Eddie F. and the Untouchables also featuring Grand Puba, Notorious B.I.G. and 2Pac
5) “My Love” remix by Mary J. Blige (1993)
6) “Self Destruction” by The Stop The Violence Movement (1989)
7) “Jam” by Michael Jackson (1990)
8) “Dem No Worry We” by Supercat (1992)
9) “We Write The Songs” by Marley Marl also featuring Biz Markie (1998)
10) “The basement” by Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth also featuring Grap Luva, Rob-O and Deda (1992)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Below, our gift guide highlights some of our favorite Walmart finds for anyone in need of a home refresh.
On Oct. 10, Walmart unveiled a brand new, state of the art creative studio on the campus of Central State University.
The Walmart HBCU Black & Unlimited Tour made its final stop at Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU) and left a lasting impact on students and alumni alike.
“REVOLT Black News” correspondent Kennedy Rue counts down the top five moments from the 2023 Billboard Music Awards, including surprising wins, historic firsts, and dope performances. Sponsored by Amazon.
After unveiling their state of the art creative studio on the campus of Central State University, Walmart brought the HBCU Black & Unlimited Tour to Virginia State University (VSU) on Oct. 13.
Walmart HBCU Black & Unlimited Tour brings attention and wisdom to North Carolina Central University
On Oct. 17, Walmart brought the third stop of the HBCU Black & Unlimited Tour to North Carolina Central University (NCCU).
In October, Walmart unveiled a brand new, state of the art creative studio on the campus of Central State University. The HBCU located in Wilberforce, OH was the first stop on Walmart’s Black and Unlimited HBCU Tour.
Groovey Lew on hip hop style, Johnell Young's industry secrets, BGS salon's wig mastery and more | 'Black Girl Stuff'
Fashion King Groovey Lew on masterminding hip-hop’s most iconic looks. Actor Johnell Young reveals the secret to breaking into the entertainment industry. Celebrity hairstylist Dontay Savoy and got2B ambassador Tokyo Stylez are in the BGS Salon with the perfect wig install. Plus, comedian Lauren Knight performs.
On this all-new episode of “On In 5,” multitalented Nigerian artist Pheelz opens up about waiting for his opportunity to fully express himself through music, his inspirations and emotions, and the musical icons he grew up admiring. Watch!
Kareem Cook talks growing up in The Bronx, studying at Duke & networking | 'The Blackprint with Detavio Samuels'
On this all-new episode of “The Blackprint with Detavio Samuels,” the host and REVOLT CEO sits down with Kareem Cook. Throughout the introspective episode, Cook talks growing up in The Bronx, studying at Duke and being nervous to be in the South at the time, network vs. education, taking advantage of your opportunities, and connecting with Debbie Allen. Watch!
Tiffany Haddish on therapy, wild fan interactions & the upcoming 'Haunted Mansion' movie | 'The Jason Lee Show'
On this all-new episode of “The Jason Lee Show,” the one and only Tiffany Haddish sits for a must-watch conversation about wild interactions with fans, her new movie ‘Haunted Mansion,’ bringing her therapist on dates, and being present. Watch the hilarious interview here.
For this all-new episode of “On In 5,” singer-songwriter BNXN discusses his journey from IT to music, finding his voice and originality, linking up with Wizkid for their hits “Mood” and “Many Ways,” and what fans can expect from him this year — including a new album. Watch the full episode here!
In this new episode of ‘Bet on Black,’ food and beverage take center stage as aspiring Black entrepreneurs from It’s Seasoned, Black Farmer Box, and Moors Brewing Co. present their business ideas to judges with mentorship from Melissa Butler. Watch here!
This is the inspiring story of Karen Washington, a pioneering urban farmer who has been revolutionizing urban spaces by transforming them into vibrant community gardens and educational hubs. Sponsored by State Farm.
Lauren London sparks conversation on how Black parents unintentionally give kids negative outlook on money
At the live taping of “Assets Over Liabilities” at REVOLT WORLD, Lauren London opened up about how witnessing the financial decisions adults made during her childhood fueled her outlook on money.
“Every time I’m in trouble, it’s been Black men that have come to my aid,” Madam DA Fani Willis said at REVOLT WORLD while speaking on the stereotype that they are not dependable or worth dating.