clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ohio man who attacked Black reporter on live TV arrested

Benjamin Eugene Dagley was apprehended at a shopping center after being on the run for several days.

Benjamin Eugene Dagley Gulfport Police Department

The Ohio man who was seen attacking a Black news reporter on live television was arrested in Dayton on Thursday (Sept. 2).

According to a statement released by U.S. Marshal Pete Elliott, Benjamin Eugene Dagley was apprehended at a shopping center after being on the run for several days. “This violent fugitive was attempting to flee from his charges in Gulfport but the swift work of our task force members resulted in a timely arrest,” Elliott said.

“Task force members received information that Dagley was still driving in his white truck bearing an Ohio license plate,” the statement said. “Task force members located the truck in the parking lot and subsequently arrested him after watching him exit a store in the shopping plaza.”

On Monday (Aug. 30), MSNBC reporter Shaquille Brewster was reporting live on Tropical Storm Ida. During the middle of his segment, Dagley pulled up in his white pickup truck and ran towards Brewster and the rest of the news crew.

Brewster initially ignored the irate man and moved over to continue his weather coverage. However, Dagley ran directly at the reporter, got in his face and shouted, “Report accurately.”

Dagley will now be charged with two counts of assault, one count of disturbing the peace and one count of violating emergency curfew. He could also face a probation violation charge for traveling to Gulfport without permission.

Back in 2017, Dagley pleaded guilty to vandalism, attempted assault and inducing panic after he broke into Cleveland Plating. He reportedly entered the business and drilled holes into tanks of dangerous chemicals — including sodium cyanide, hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, yellow chromate and ferrous chloride.

He was sentenced to five years’ probation and 30 days in jail. Additionally, he was also ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and $10,000 in restitution to the company.

Sign up for the newsletter Join the revolution.

Get REVOLT updates weekly so you don’t miss a thing.