clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Kenosha County Sheriff claims he hasn’t seen Jacob Blake shooting video

The ACLU has called for Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth to resign.

Brandon Bell/Getty Images

The tragic police shooting of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old unarmed Black man in Kenosha, Washington, last week has sparked an NBA strike and has left many people across the country with questions.

On Friday (Aug. 28), law enforcement leaders held a press conference to update the public on the shooting of Blake, who was shot seven times in the back by a police officer in front of his children.

The incident was captured on video and quickly went viral, however, Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth is claiming that he has not seen the footage.

“I did not see the video,” he told reporters at the news conference, even though there is a video circulating of him watching the shooting from a phone on social media.

When asked if he saw a problem with him not seeing the video as a top law enforcement official, he doubled down on his answer.

“I’m sticking to the same thing I answered earlier,” he reiterated. “Yes, I have not seen it.”

The ACLU is calling for Beth’s resignation.

Following several nights of rest, Kenosha Police Chief Daniel Miskinis reports that around 50 arrests have been made so far with most of the offenders being from out of town.

According to CBS 58, the Wisconsin National Guard has been deployed in Kenosha with guard members from Arizona, Alabama and Michigan set to join.

“I made the assessment that due to the situation here that we would be best served by having additional military police companies, which have additional training in civil disturbance and how to deal with that,” Wisconsin’s adjutant general, Maj. Gen. Paul Knapp, said.

Beth and Miskinis maintain that protesters should abide by the 7 pm curfew.

Miskinis, who came under fire this week for his comments suggesting that curfew violation is the reason two protesters lost their lives at the hands of 17-year-old gunman Kyle Rittenhouse, clarified what he meant.

“In no way was my comment earlier intended to suggest that being out after curfew that those persons played a role in their deaths,” Miskinis said. “Tragically, lives were lost and a person was injured. That rests solely on the person who did that, not on the victims of this crime.”

The Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation is currently investigating the shooting of Blake and the officer who shot him, Rusten Sheskey, has been put on administrative leave.

Up until Friday (Aug. 29), Blake, who is now paralyzed from the waist down, was handcuffed to his hospital bed.

Sign up for the newsletter Join the revolution.

Get REVOLT updates weekly so you don’t miss a thing.