Kevin Hart is back home and recovering following his recent car accident, which left him with major back injuries.
According to TMZ, Hart and the two people who were in the car with him at the time of the crash have lawyered up and are preparing to file a lawsuit. Sources told the outlet that the driver, who sustained serious back and chest injuries, has hired an attorney. The passenger, who only suffered minor injuries, has sought legal counsel as well. Hart has also obtained a lawyer.
The comedian is reportedly catching flak from the two passengers in the car, who have said that Hart was negligent by not having critical safety features installed in the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda. TMZ reports that the car lacked air bags and safety harnesses.
The company that customized the car could be looking at a lawsuit as well. It is being argued that the body shop who designed Hart’s car may be on the hook for allowing Hart to purchase the customized car without the safety harnesses. TMZ reports that the company could be facing a negligence lawsuit because the body shop decided to go forward with customizing Hart’s vehicle, despite it lacking crucial modern safety features.
The comedian was released from the hospital on Sept. 11 and went on to receive treatment at a live-in rehab facility, which allowed him to do intense physical therapy. Sources said that Hart is “glad” to be out of the hospital. The comedian also has a positive outlook on the situation. “I’m grateful to be alive,” he said.
Hart was released from the rehab facility on Friday (Sept. 20).
As previously reported, Hart suffered three spinal fractures after his 1970 Plymouth Barracuda crashed and landed in a ditch in Malibu over Labor Day weekend. Hart, as well as his driver and the backseat passenger all sustained injuries.