With rumors swirling that JAY-Z turned down an offer to perform at the Super Bowl, the NFL has released a statement to clear up the air...kind of.
"No decisions have been made on the performer(s) and we are not going to speculate on particular artists," the NFL said in a statement on Wednesday (September 20) released to Complex. "Along with Pepsi, we know that we will put on a spectacular show. When it is time to announce her name we will do it. Or his name. Or their names."
Over the summer, it was rumored that JAY-Z could be performing the 2018 Super Bowl halftime show alongside Justin Timberlake. And earlier this week, a source told The Sun that in an effort to hopefully top Lady Gaga's ratings for Super Bowl LI, the NFL reached out to Hov to be next year's performer - but that JAY reportedly declined the league's offer.
"He has enough songs to create an incredible performance but he really has no plans to do the half-time show," the source said.
JAY-Z has yet to come forward to confirm or deny the rumors of his Super Bowl participation, however, a recent performance at the Meadows Music Arts Festival made it very clear what his stance was.
Last week, JAY-Z dedicated "The Story of OJ" to NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. "I want to dedicate this song to Colin Kaepernick tonight," he said. "I want to dedicate this to Dick Gregory. I want to dedicate this song to anyone that was held back and you overcame."
Many Kaepernick supporters have voiced plans to boycott the NFL this season because they believe the former San Francisco 49er is being blackballed from the league. While some have turned off their TV sets to stand with Kaep, JAY turning down the visibility from the biggest national TV day of the year would be a huge statement as well.
Super Bowl LII will be played February 4th at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. We'll just have to wait a bit longer to find out who's performing during the halftime show.