clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Chance the Rapper files preemptive lawsuit against merch bootleggers

After encountering fake merchandise during his last tour, Chano is planning ahead this year.

Adrien Vargas // REVOLT

It's no secret that Chance the Rapper has no problem taking matters into his own hands.

When he felt radio wasn't showing enough love to indie artists, he made it easier for his fans to request his songs.

When he performed during voting registration season, he partnered with the NAACP to bring sign-ups to his tour stops.

And when his meeting with the Illinois governor didn't go as planned, he donated to the Chicago Public Schools system himself.

Last year, he took on scalpers by buying back around 2,000 overpriced tickets and reselling them to fans for hundreds of dollars lower. And now, he's fighting bootleggers.

According to NBC Chicago, the rapper filed a lawsuit on Wednesday (April 19) against unidentified individuals accused of selling fake merchandise during his 2016 tour. Now, Pitchfork has reported that he's done the same in preparation for his upcoming 2017 outing.

The report says that Chance and his touring company have filed the lawsuit in an Illinois district court against the yet-to-be-named entities that might try to sell unauthorized merchandise. Pitchfork says the rapper is "essentially asserting a preemptive claim for 'injunctive and monetary relief.'"

NBC reports that Chance's lawyers have predicted there will indeed be more bootlegging attempts during his 2017 tour.

In an effort to "cultivate creative minds" and serve as a "call to action" to others.

Sign up for the newsletter Join the revolution.

Get REVOLT updates weekly so you don’t miss a thing.